Saturday, August 15, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" On the Unique Things About Saskatchewan

Since the middle of April when I learned I am a "Lost Canadian", I've been learning about Canada. While I have learned many things,  there clearly are a great many things I still do not know and have yet to learn. Today I'm sharing some of the unique things I've learned online about the Canadian Province of  Saskatchewan . . .

Saskatchewan is a unique Canadian province known for its giant flat prairies, over 100,000 lakes, and the birthplace of the Canadian one-dollar coin. Its name comes from a Cree word meaning "swift-flowing river." 
Geography and Nature
  • Lots of Water: About 10% of the province is fresh water, meaning there are over 100,000 lakes and rivers to explore.
  • Floating Lake: Little Manitou Lake has five times the salt of the ocean. You can float in it without trying, much like the Dead Sea.
  • Geometric Shape: Its borders are man-made lines of latitude and longitude, making it look like a neat geometric block on the map.
  • Massive Skies: The license plates say "Land of Living Skies" because the massive horizon gives you amazing cloud views and sunsets. 
  • Agriculture – particularly wheat and other cereal crops, but also oilseeds and livestock – continues to be the mainstay of the Saskatchewan economy. The province has 40 percent of Canada’s farmland and produces 60 percent of the country’s wheat.
  • Minerals & More - Saskatchewan has half the world's potash reserves, Canada’s largest heavy oil reserves, coal, gold, and rich uranium deposits.
History and Fun Claims
  • Birthplace of the Loonie: The famous Canadian $1 coin was first minted in the town of Churchbridge.
  • Giant Paperclip: The town of Kipling holds the claim for the world's largest paperclip.
  • Hockey Legends: It produces a huge number of NHL hockey stars per capita, including greats like Gordie Howe.
  • Dinosaur Roots: Southwest Saskatchewan is famous for fossils, and the world's largest Tyrannosaurus rex was found there.
  • How Do You Say It - The Cree name for the Saskatchewan River was “Kisiskatchewanisipi,” meaning “swift-flowing river.” Through common use, this eight-syllable name was shortened to Saskatchewan - is pronounced sas-KATCH-ə-wun (phonetic: /sæˈskætʃ.ə.wən/ or /sæˈskætʃ.ə.wɒn/). It has four main syllables, with the primary stress placed on the second syllable (katch). 
  • First Nations Peoples - Saskatchewan was originally inhabited by First Nations of the Athapaskan, Algonquian and Siouan linguistic groups. The influence of Aboriginal peoples in Saskatchewan is evident from the number of Aboriginal names given to places across the province.
There is SO much more to know, discover, and most certainly love about Saskatchewan, Canada, and you will find much of it at this link and this link. (Images from Canada.ca)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About the Tariffs Showing Canada's Strength

As a citizen of the US and a nearly lifetime resident of Michigan - making me a Michigander, I have always viewed Canada as a close friend ...