As a person who has lived in the US all my life, I am used to Thanksgiving being celebrated in November. But, in Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October - which is just three weeks away. So, I thought over the coming weeks it would be interesting to write about the history of Canadian Thanksgiving and share some Canadian recipes which are typically enjoyed on their Thanksgiving. Today I'm starting with some of the history of Canadian Thanksgiving, I learned online . . .
Canada celebrates Thanksgiving to give thanks for a bountiful harvest and a safe year.
Origins and History
- Early Beginnings: The tradition dates back to 1578 when English explorer Martin Frobisher held a ceremony in Nunavut to thank God for his safe arrival.
- Indigenous Traditions: First Nations and Indigenous peoples across Canada have long held ceremonies to give thanks for seasonal crops, game, and surviving the winter.
- European Harvest Customs: French and English settlers brought their own European harvest festival traditions, celebrating seasonal food abundance.
- National Holiday: Parliament officially declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1879.
So, the history behind Canadian Thanksgiving is similar to the history behind Thanksgiving here in the US - it is a time to be thankful for harvest and in Canada it is something with strong First Nation's roots! I also learned online Canada celebrates Thanksgiving earlier than it is celebrated here in the US because Canada's harvest season finishes much earlier in their northern climate than it does in the United States.
Canadian Thanksgiving is on October 12th this year, so I'll be writing more about it in the days and weeks to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment