Monday, September 28, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Miscou Island in New Brunswick

This "Lost Canadian" grew up in Michigan, so I have been able to experience many beautiful Falls. The other day I saw a post on Instagram about some very beautiful places in New Brunswick where Fall color is amazing, so today I wanted to share these places with you . . .

On the Northeastern tip of New Brunswick is an Island - Miscou Island in New Brunswick 🇨🇦 turns crimson every Fall due to its unique peat bogs. It’s 3.5 hours from Moncton but totally worth the drive. The Island turns red in the Fall, thanks to its peat bogs from late September through early October - so if you have a chance to go see it this year, go now! Otherwise, put it on your list of must-see places!

Sounds beautiful - and I have an ancestor who was born in New Brunswick - John Lewis, he married Nahama Walters who was born in Nova Scotia - their daughter Matilda was born in Ontario and married Robert Fonger (also born in Ontario) and they all moved to Kent County MI, where Robert and Matilda's daughter was born. She married Timothy Guy Bristol (who was born in Quebec) and one of their children was my grandpa, and one of his sons was my dad. Here is more information I found online about it . . .

Geography and Nature
  • Peat Bogs: The island features vast, untouched peat bogs that turn a vibrant scarlet red every fall, making it a popular autumn destination.
  • Name Origin: Its name comes from the Mi'kmaq word "susqu," meaning "low land" or "boggy marsh".
  • Landscapes: It features sandy coastal beaches, stunted dwarf forests, and enclosed lagoons. 
History and Culture
  • Early Exploration: Jacques Cartier explored the island in 1534, after which it served as a seasonal fishing base for Basque fishermen and later a Jesuit mission in 1634. 
  • Lighthouse: The iconic Miscou Island Lighthouse, built in 1856 at the northern tip of the island, is a designated National Historic Site. 
  • Economy: Fishing (such as lobster and herring) remains the primary industry for the island's small year-round population. 
Tourism and Access
  • Getting There: Visitors reach the island via the 2,000-meter Miscou Island Bridge connecting it to neighboring Lamèque Island.
  • Activities: Popular things to do include walking the interpretive peat bog boardwalks, climbing the historic lighthouse, birdwatching, and visiting local wharf eateries.
Yes, this absolutely sounds like an amazing place to visit - especially in Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" - Once Again, I'm SO Sorry

As I've written before, I am a Michigander - I was born in, grew up in, and have lived most of my life in Michigan. Since Canada and Mic...