Thursday, July 30, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Ontario

I have been spending the past several months learning about Canada, because since I am a "Lost Canadian", I wanted to learn about my ancestorial country - Canada. Many of my ancestors were from Canada - we believe some may even be First Nations - Mi'kmaq, which gives my family deep roots in Canada. I did not know these things until a few months ago, so it has been a surprise - a wonderful surprise for sure!

One thing I have learned about Canada, is most Canadians live in the Province of Ontario as 38% of Canadians live there. Since I was born in and have lived most of my life in Michigan, Ontario is the Province of Canada with which I am most familiar, but there are a great many things I do not know about Ontario. Today I am happy to share with you some of the things I've found online about Ontario . . .

Ontario has many unique natural wonders and unusual spots, highlighted by Bruce Peninsula National Park, Flowerpot Island, and the Cheltenham Badlands
Natural Wonders
  • The Grotto: A stunning sea cave in Bruce Peninsula National Park featuring brilliant turquoise water lit by an underwater opening in the rock. 
  • Flowerpot Island: Located in Fathom Five National Marine Park near Tobermory, famous for giant pillar-shaped rock columns which look like flowerpots. 
  • Cheltenham Badlands: Striking, rolling red-orange hills of exposed ancient shale located in Caledon. 
Unique Towns and History
  • Elora Gorge: A dramatic limestone canyon carved by the Grand River, popular for tubing and cliff views.
  • Manitoulin Island: The largest freshwater island in the world, holding deep Indigenous culture and scenic lake views.
  • Brockville Railway Tunnel: Canada's first-ever railway tunnel, now fully lit with colorful LED lights and pedestrian-friendly pathways.
Geography and Nature
  • Massive Scale: Covers over 1 million square kilometres, making it larger than France and Spain combined.
  • Freshwater Abundance: Home to more than 250,000 lakes holding roughly 20% of the world's fresh surface water supply.
  • Far South Position
    : Features Middle Island (off Pelee Island) as its southernmost point, which sits at the same latitude as Rome, Italy
    .
Landmarks and Wonders
  • Natural Powerhouses: Hosts the world-famous Niagara Falls on its border, known for massive water volume and power generation.
  • Towering Heights: Features Toronto's CN Tower, which stood as the world's tallest freestanding structure for over 30 years at 553.3 metres.
  • Longest Skating Rink: Transforms the Rideau Canal in Ottawa during winter into a 7.8-kilometre-long UNESCO World Heritage skating path.
Culture and History
  • Name Origin: Derives its name from an Iroquoian word, kanadario, meaning "sparkling water" or "beautiful lake".
  • First Oil Well: Location of North America's first commercial oil well, drilled in 1858 in Oil Springs.
  • Population Hub: Houses over 15 million residents, meaning more than a third of all Canadians live in the province.
And, here are some key facts about Ontario from Ontario.Ca -

  • Ontario’s more than 250,000 lakes contain about one-fifth of the world's fresh water
  • In the summer, temperatures can soar above 30°C (86°F), while in winter they can drop below -40°C (-40°F)
  • Ontario's industries range from cultivating crops, to mining minerals, to manufacturing automobiles, to designing software, and leading-edge technology
  • Cultures from around the world thrive and are celebrated in Ontario with festivals such as Caribbean Carnival, Oktoberfest, Festival Franco-Ontarien, the Summer Solstice Indigenous Festival, and the Indigenous Arts Festival
  • Travellers can enjoy the many experiences Ontario has to offer, from a wilderness expedition in the north, to a "shop till you drop into your theatre seat" city excursion
  • There are more than 40 treaties and other land agreements in Ontario which set out the rights and responsibilities of First Nations and the provincial and federal governments
  • Ontario has the largest Indigenous population in Canada. Indigenous peoples make up about 2.8% of Ontario’s population and about one-fifth of all Indigenous people in Canada.
There is SO much more to know, discover, and most certainly love about Ontario, Canada, and you will find much of it at this link and this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Ontario

I have been spending the past several months learning about Canada, because since I am a "Lost Canadian", I wanted to learn about ...