Since the middle of April when I learned I am a "Lost Canadian", I've been learning about Canada. While I have learned many things, there clearly are a great many things I still do not know and have yet to learn. Today I'm sharing some of the unique things I've learned about the Canadian Province of Prince Edward Island. Today I am happy to share with you some of the things I've found online about Prince Edward Island . . .
Prince Edward Island is Canada's smallest province, famous for its striking red soil, red sandstone cliffs, and the literary backdrop of Anne of Green Gables. You are never more than 15 minutes from a beach here, and the region boasts unique natural and structural highlights.
Striking Geography and Beaches
- Red Sand and Soil: High iron oxide content in the bedrock gives the earth and coastal cliffs a vibrant red color.
- Singing Sands: Basin Head Provincial Park features fine white-and-red quartz sand that makes a squeaking or singing sound when walked on due to high silica content.
- Warm Waters: The southern shores boast some of the warmest ocean water north of Florida during summer.
- Proximity to Sea: No point on the island is more than 16 kilometers (10 miles) from the ocean
Iconic Architecture and Engineering
- Confederation Bridge: A 12.9-kilometer curved marvel linking the island to New Brunswick, holding the record as the world's longest bridge over ice-covered water.
- Lighthouses: Home to 63 historic lighthouses, creating one of the highest concentrations per square kilometer in North America.
Culture and History
- Green Gables: The rural farm in Cavendish that inspired Lucy Maud Montgomery's classic 1908 novel.
- Potato Capital: Known as the "Idaho of Canada," producing roughly a quarter of all Canadian potatoes.
And, here are some key facts about Prince Edward Island from PrinceEdwardIsland.Ca -
- Our economy features a mix of traditional resources - agriculture, fisheries and tourism - which have undergone significant modernization as well as new industry sectors including bioscience and advanced manufacturing.
- Most PEI residents will tell you summer is their favorite season as temperatures range between 20 and 34 degrees Celsius (70 to 93 degrees Fahrenheit). It is definitely the season of perfect beach weather; we even have the warmest waters north of the Carolinas.
- Autumn temperatures range between 8 and 22 degrees Celsius (46 to 71 degrees Fahrenheit). The mornings are cooler than in summer, but the afternoons are still warm. The Island takes on a whole new beauty as the leaves change color to breathtaking shades of orange, red, and yellow.
- During the winter, PEI receives an average total yearly snowfall of 290 centimeters (114 inches). Temperatures range between -3 to -11 degrees Celsius (26 to 11 degrees Fahrenheit), but cold winds can make it feel more like it is -25 degrees Celsius (-13 degrees Fahrenheit).
- By the time spring rolls around, Islanders are happy to see the snow melt as flowers begin to bloom, grass comes alive, and trees blossom. Temperatures are quite mild, ranging from 8 to 22 degrees Celsius (46 to 71 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Historically, the island has formed an integral part of the Mi'kmaw homeland.
- The island is known in Mi'kmawi'simk, the indigenous Mi'kmaw language, as Abegweit or Epekwitk, roughly translated as "land cradled on the waves."
There is SO much more to know, discover, and most certainly love about Prince Edward Island, Canada, and you will find much of it at this link and this link.

No comments:
Post a Comment