Friday, August 28, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Canada's Strength - "Canadians Know Naming Reality"

I began this week writing about how sorry I am as a US citizen, a Michigander, and a Lost Canadian - and just as a human - for the despicable, shameful words and actions coming from the toddler-in-chief in the White House with his likely illegal, and certainly uncalled for tariffs on our dear neighbors, friends, and family in Canada. I grew up in, and continue to live in Michigan, so all my life I've viewed Canada as a wonderful neighbor and friend. Now I know I'm a "Lost Canadian", I also see Canada as my family (I have at least 15 ancestors from Canada since 1800 - mostly from Ontario, but also Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia - it is possible some of them were Mi'kmaq!) 

Clearly, the past week is showing no matter how many "tantrums" are thrown by the massively corrupt toddler in the White House, the evidence shows Canada has taken action to protect their people and is a strong and united country. As I've been saying, of course, even if I were not a "Lost Canadian", as a Michigander I find the things trump and his minions are saying are especially beyond insulting to Canada and shameful for the supposed "leader" of the US, but I am SO impressed by the strength and unity we continue to see from Canada. I'm sure the world is impressed as well - they certainly should be in my opinion.

I began writing this week about just some of the things I've learned online which show Canada's great strength - in no particular order as they all are significant ways Canada shows its great strength - today I'm writing about how Canada continues to do this by standing firm over trumps shameful "renaming" of Lake Ontario.

Canada and local leaders have rejected President Donald Trump's executive order renaming Lake Ontario to "Lake America," dismissing it as a symbolic move which has no legal or practical effect outside the United States
Canadian and International Response
  • Official Rejection: Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and Ontario Premier Doug Ford stated the body of water will remain Lake Ontario "now and forever".
  • Trade Context: The renaming coincides with an escalating trade war involving reciprocal tariffs between the U.S. and Canada.
  • Global Standing: Canadian officials emphasized international naming conventions and local realities remain unchanged, treating the decree as domestic political posturing. 
U.S. and Local Reactions
  • State Pushback: New York Governor Kathy Hochul announced her state—the sole U.S. state bordering the lake—will continue using the traditional name.
  • Congressional Action: Democratic lawmakers, such as Michigan Representative Debbie Dingell, called the order "idiotic" and vowed to introduce legislation to nullify the change.
  • Political Satire: Other U.S. governors mocked the decree on social media, with Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers jokingly "renaming" Lake Michigan on a McDonald's napkin.
The whole world is watching as Canada stands up and shows its strength as it deals with the massively corrupt convicted felon/sexual abuser, likely pedophile "toddler-in-chief" currently occupying the White House. The whole worlds is impressed and Canada's strength - and their standing in the world is growing even stronger as they model to the world what it looks like to come together and stand up to a bully - they clearly have a strength which at this time those of us in the US can only hope will happen here one day.

Prime Minister Carney said,“The name Lake Ontario comes from the Wendat word Ontari’io, which, appropriately, means ‘the lake is beautiful, the lake is big,’” He noted the name had been used for more than 400 years, predating the Canadian Confederation and the signing of the U.S. Declaration of Independence. "We know America is changing. Their trading relationships, their foreign policies, their national monuments, their hydronyms,” the prime minister continued. “Canadians also know naming reality means calling it Lake Ontario — then, now, and always.

Absolutely - Lake Ontario - then, now, and always! Canada is a strong world leader who is clearly showing everyone how to respond to a bully - and the entire world knows it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Canada's Strength - "Canadians Know Naming Reality"

I began this week writing about how sorry I am as a US citizen, a Michigander, and a Lost Canadian - and just as a human - for the despicabl...