Thursday, August 27, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Canada's Strength - Developing Diverse Trade Relationships with the World

As I've been writing this week, I grew up in, and continue to live in Michigan, so all my life I've viewed Canada as a wonderful neighbor and friend. Now I know I'm a "Lost Canadian", I also see Canada as my family (I have at least 15 ancestors from Canada since 1800 - mostly from Ontario, but also Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia - it is possible some of them were Mi'kmaq!) 

At any rate, the past week has clearly shown no matter how many "tantrums" are thrown by the toddler-in-chief in the White House, the evidence shows Canada is strong and united. As I've been saying, of course, even if I were not a "Lost Canadian", as a Michigander I find the things trump and his minions are saying are beyond insulting to Canada and shameful for the supposed "leader" of the US, but I am SO impressed by the strength and unity we continue to see from Canada. 

I have been writing this week about just some of the things I've learned online which show Canada's great strength - in no particular order as they all are significant ways Canada shows its great strength - today I'm writing about how Canada wisely has made the choice to diversify their trade relationships with the world.

Canada is actively diversifying its trade relationships worldwide to reduce its deep economic dependence on the United States following the collapse of recent trade talks and the implementation of steep U.S. tariffs
Diversifying Global Partnerships
  • New International Deals: Prime Minister Mark Carney noted Canada has signed 12 trade and security agreements across four continents, pursuing stronger ties with nations in Europe, Asia, and South America. 
  • Targeting High Demand: Global demand for Canadian oil, natural gas, minerals, lumber, and agricultural goods has positioned Canada as a secure supplier, drawing interest from European and Asian markets amid other global supply chain disruptions. 
  • European Union Engagement: Ottawa has initiated discussions with the European Union to forge deeper economic and security partnerships as an alternative outlet for trade and strategic alignment. 
The Challenge of Diversification
  • Deep North-South Integration: Decades of economic integration under NAFTA and CUSMA mean shifting away from the U.S. market—which traditionally absorbs the vast majority of Canadian exports—is a slow, costly, and complex process. 
  • Sovereignty Concerns: Recent negotiations broke down because U.S. demands sought to restrict Canada's freedom to set domestic cultural policies and conduct independent trade relationships with third-party nations, reinforcing Ottawa's resolve to find alternative partners.
The whole world is watching as Canada stands up and shows its strength as it deals with the massively corrupt convicted felon/sexual abuser, likely pedophile "toddler-in-chief" currently occupying the White House. The whole worlds is impressed and Canada's strength - and their standing in the world is growing even stronger as they model to the world what it looks like to come together and stand up to a bully - they clearly have a strength which at this time those of us in the US can only hope will happen here one day.

Canada is absolutely a strong leader - and the entire world knows it and wants to develop trade relationships with them as a stable world partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Canada's Strength - Qualified, Strong Leader

I began this week writing about how sorry I am as a US citizen, a Michigander, and a Lost Canadian - and just as a human - for the despicabl...