Saturday, August 22, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Attending College in Canada as a Canadian

On the news this morning in the USA I heard about how the government is ending Student Loan programs and people with student loans are at grave risk of having their monthly payments balloon significantly. While I do not have any student loans, my grandchildren are nearing the age of when they may go to college - I am so happy to know since I am a "Lost Canadian", so are they. This means they have the option of attending college in Canada once we receive our Canadian citizenship. So, today I'm sharing with you what I'm learning about attending college in Canada as a Canadian . . .

Attending college or university in Canada costs an average of CAD $5,590 to $9,500 per year for domestic students, while international students pay significantly more, averaging over CAD $30,000 to $41,000 annually. Total expenses depend heavily on your residency status, the province, and your specific program of study. 
Tuition and Program Fees
  • Domestic Students: Average around CAD $6,000 to $9,000 per year for undergraduate programs, though provinces like Quebec offer lower rates. 
  • International Students: Average CAD $16,000 to $25,000 per year for community colleges or polytechnics, and upwards of CAD $41,000 per year for university undergraduate programs. 
  • Program Differences: High-demand fields like engineering, medicine, and business typically cost more than humanities or arts programs.
Living Expenses and Housing
  • On-Campus Housing: Costs roughly CAD $8,000 to $12,000 per year for a dorm room or residence.
  • Meal Plans: Add another CAD $3,000 to $4,500 annually if not included in housing.
  • Off-Campus Rent: Varies widely by location; major cities like Toronto and Vancouver require much higher budgets (often CAD $1,500+ per month) compared to smaller university towns. 
Additional Expenses
  • Books and Supplies: Budget CAD $1,000 to $1,800 per year.
  • Transportation: Local transit passes cost about CAD $800 to $1,500 per year.
  • Health Insurance and Fees: Mandatory student fees and health coverage add a few hundred to a thousand dollars depending on the province and institution.
Attending college will likely mean taking on debt, but as a Canadian attending college in Canada, it looks like the debt will be significantly less - making this an important thing to consider if you receive your Canadian citizenship. You will find more helpful information about attending college in Canada as a Canadian at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About the Tariffs Showing Canada's Strength

As a citizen of the US and a nearly lifetime resident of Michigan - making me a Michigander, I have always viewed Canada as a close friend ...