Sunday, August 23, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About the Tariffs Showing Canada's Strength

As a citizen of the US and a nearly lifetime resident of Michigan - making me a Michigander, I have always viewed Canada as a close friend and neighbor. Learning I am a "Lost Canadian", I now also see Canada as family. So, I've watched with horror and shame for the past nearly two years as the massively corrupt convicted felon/sexual abuser, war criminal, likely pedophile who currently occupies the White House continues to insult Canada by calling it our 51'st State and saying they rely on us for their existence, and as he illegally imposes tariffs on Canada. I am SO sorry to all my Canadian neighbors, friends, and family. Please know many of us here in the US are appalled, disgusted, angered, and ashamed of these tariffs being imposed by trump - and everything he says and does. Many of us did NOT vote for him and are shocked and disgusted to see so many in this country did.

I listened to Prime Minister Carney as he spoke to the Canadian people about the tariffs and how and why they are responding as they are. I have to say I am impressed by him and how he is articulate, intelligent, and precise (such a refreshing change from what we have had to deal with here in the US for the past nearly two years.) I am encouraged to hear Canada has a plan to protect and help Canadian businesses and citizens as you stand up to the bully currently occupying the White House.

Prime Minister Carney said, "For over a year, Canada has worked intensively and in good faith with the United States to negotiate a new comprehensive trade deal. We have been pragmatic, patient, and persistent. Our goal has always been to get the best deal for Canadians, never a deal at any price or on any time frame.

Late last evening I instructed our negotiators to return to Ottawa. We cannot accept what the U.S. has offered, and we will not give what they have asked.

Canada will match the U.S.' new tariffs dollar for dollar in order to protect Canadian workers, farmers, families, and businesses. We take this step confident it is in the best interests of Canada.

In the coming days, we will release the details of these new tariff measures, which will come into force the Tuesday after Labour Day."

I am impressed by a leader who wants to protect his people against a bully - we do not have this in the US (especially since sadly the bully is here in the White House) and we are not protected from the damage these tariffs cause us, the people of the US.

Please know many of us here absolutely do NOT support trump in any way, shape, or form. We are SO sorry for the damage he has caused and continues to cause. I wish people had listened to us and voted differently in 2024 - I hope they are listening now. 

We are voting in November, (hopefully - if trump doesn't do something to stop our elections and then stop them from taking effect in January - and I'm extremely concerned he will - or at least will try to do so) with the hope of being able to have people in Congress who will actually do their jobs and stand up to him the way your Prime Minister is standing up to the bully trump and standing up for the amazing people of Canada.

I am SO sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About the Tariffs Showing Canada's Strength

As a citizen of the US and a nearly lifetime resident of Michigan - making me a Michigander, I have always viewed Canada as a close friend ...