Since the middle of April when I learned I am a "Lost Canadian", I've been learning about Canada. While I have learned many things, there clearly are a great many things I still do not know and have yet to learn. Today I'm sharing some of the unique things I've learned online about the Canadian Province of Newfoundland and Labrador . . .
Newfoundland and Labrador is Canada's easternmost province, famous for its unique half-hour time zone, rugged outport villages, distinct dialects, and rare geological wonders. It stands out as a place where Viking history, iceberg-studded waters, and a separate national past converge.
Geography and Nature
- The Tablelands: Located in Gros Morne National Park, this rare landscape features rust-colored, barren mantle rock pushed up from deep inside the Earth, allowing you to walk on the earth's core.
- Iceberg Alley: Ten-thousand-year-old glacial ice drifts down past the coast every spring and summer, coming from Greenland.
- Cape Spear: The easternmost point in North America, where the sun rises before anywhere else on the continent.
- Western Brook Pond: An ultra-deep, landlocked freshwater fjord framed by 2,000-foot sheer cliff walls and cascading waterfalls.
History and Culture
- L'Anse aux Meadows: The only authenticated Norse (Viking) settlement site in North America, proving Europeans reached the continent 500 years before Columbus.
- Unique Time Zone: Operating on Newfoundland Time, it sits exactly 30 minutes ahead of Atlantic Standard Time.
- Distinct Dialects: Home to more unique regional English dialects and slang variations per capita than almost anywhere else, heavily influenced by Irish and West Country English root words. (Examples include - Livyer: A permanent resident or "live-here," historically used to distinguish local settlers from seasonal fishermen. - Come-from-away (CFA): An outsider, mainlander, or anyone not born in the province. - Scoff: A large, hearty meal or feast. - Sleeveen: A sneaky, untrustworthy person or rascal. - Possessive Pronouns: Replacing "my" with "me" (e.g., "I'm going to look for me hat"). - Habitual Aspect: Using "is" or "do" to indicate ongoing or routine actions (e.g., "I do be working hard"). )
- Late Confederation: Newfoundland was a separate dominion of the British Empire until it officially voted to join Canada as its tenth province in 1949.
Iconic Symbols
- World-Famous Dog Breeds: Both the heavy-coated Newfoundland dog and the athletic Labrador Retriever originated and were named after the regions of this province.
- The Atlantic puffin (Fratercula arctica) is a well-known symbol of Newfoundland and Labrador. Over 95 percent of all the puffins in North America breed on the coasts of the province. The largest colony can be seen in the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve, south of St. John’s.
- The mineral labradorite is one of the most beautiful and popular of the semiprecious stones and is often used in jewelry and ornaments. Named after Labrador, it is found in abundance near the community of Nain and elsewhere in Labrador as well as on the island of Newfoundland.
- Newfoundland ponies are likely derived from breeds brought from Europe in the early 17th century. Well adapted to the province’s harsh climate and conditions, the ponies were used to haul boats out of the water, pull logs from the forest and prepare land for spring planting. They are quiet animals with good temperaments, good workers, easy keepers, and great family pets.

No comments:
Post a Comment