Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Unique Things About New Brunswick

Since the middle of April when I learned I am a "Lost Canadian", I've been learning about Canada. While I have learned many things,  there clearly are a great many things I still do not know and have yet to learn. Today I'm sharing some of the unique things I've learned online about the Canadian Province of New Brunswick (which is another place in Canada where my ancestors are from!) . . .

New Brunswick is a Canadian province featuring extreme natural wonders, unusual tidal phenomena, and quirky roadside records
Extreme Nature and Tides
  • Highest Tides: The Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world, rising and falling up to 52.5 feet (16 meters) twice a day. 
  • Reversing Water: The powerful tides in Saint John push so much water up the Saint John River, it forces the river to flow backward twice a day, known as the Reversing Falls. 
  • Tidal Disappearance: Ministers Island is a historic estate accessible only at low tide via a natural gravel bar road which goes completely underwater twice daily. 
Unique Records and Food
  • Longest Covered Bridge: The town of Hartland holds the record for the world's longest covered bridge, stretching 1,282 feet (391 meters) across the Saint John River. 
  • French Fry Capital: Florenceville-Bristol is known as the French Fry Capital of the World because it is the birthplace of McCain Foods and produces a massive portion of the world's frozen french fries. 
  • Giant Lobster: The town of Shediac features a 90-tonne steel-and-concrete sculpture honoring its status as the lobster capital. 
Culture and Geography
  • Bilingual Province: It is Canada's only officially bilingual province, offering equal status to both English and French.
  • Ocean of Trees: About 85% of the province is covered by continuous, dense Acadian forest, making the region feel like an endless wilderness sprinkled with small towns.
There is SO much more to know, discover, and most certainly love about New Brunswick, Canada, and you will find much of it at this link and this link. (Images from Canada.ca)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Unique Things About New Brunswick

Since the middle of April when I learned I am a "Lost Canadian", I've been learning about Canada. While I have learned many th...