Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Unique Things About Quebec

As I've been writing, since the middle of April when I learned I am a "Lost Canadian", I've been learning about Canada. While I have learned many things, there clearly are a great many things I still do not know and have yet to learn. Today I'm sharing some of the unique things I've learned online about the Canadian Province of Quebec (which is another place in Canada where my ancestors are from!) . . .

Quebec is Canada's largest province by land area and a unique cultural enclave in North America, defined by its distinct French heritage, European-style architecture, and a legal system which mixes civil and common law
Culture and Language
  • French majority: It is the only province in Canada where French is the primary language for nearly 80% of the population. 
  • Mixed legal system: Private law operates under a civil law system derived from the French Napoleonic Code, while public law follows Canadian common law. 
  • Oldest newspaper: Home to the Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph, the oldest continuously running English-language newspaper in North America, founded in 1764. 
  • Winter Carnival: The Quebec Winter Carnival is the largest winter carnival in the world. It features ice sculptures, night parades, and a massive ice palace.
Landmarks and Geography
  • Fortified city: Quebec City features Old Quebec, the only remaining walled and fortified city in North America north of Mexico. 
  • Famous hotel: The Fairmont Le Château Frontenac overlooking the St. Lawrence River holds the record as the most photographed hotel in the world. 
  • The Manicouagan Reservoir: Often called the "Eye of Quebec," this circular ring lake was formed by an ancient asteroid impact over 200 million years ago and is so huge it can be seen clearly from space.
  • Abundant Water: Fresh water covers over 12% of the province, which contains more than 500,000 lakes and 4,500 rivers.
Economy and Industry
  • Maple syrup capital: The province produces over 70% of the world's maple syrup supply and maintains a strategic global reserve.
  • Clean powerhouse: Roughly 94% of Quebec's electricity is generated via Hydro-Québec hydroelectric stations, making it a major green energy exporter.
Unique Sights in Montreal's Underground City (RÉSO)
  • Vast Subterranean Network: Over 32 kilometers of climate-controlled tunnels link office towers, hotels, and universities.
  • Metro Connectivity: You can access multiple rapid transit stations without ever stepping foot into the snow or rain.
  • Massive Food Halls: Subterranean epicenters like Le Cathcart at Place Ville Marie or the Time Out Market at Centre Eaton offer vast indoor dining and art installations.
There is SO much more to know, discover, and most certainly love about Quebec, Canada, and you will find much of it at this link and this link. (Images from Canada.ca)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Unique Things About Quebec

As I've been writing, since the middle of April when I learned I am a "Lost Canadian", I've been learning about Canada. Wh...