Monday, August 31, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" - I am SO Sorry

I began writing this blog as a "Lost Canadian" because I was curious about Canada and wanted to learn about my new country. I plan to write many more posts about the amazing country of Canada, but for the past week I have been writing about the shameful behavior of the massively corrupt convicted felon/sexual abuser, likely pedophile who currently occupies the white house and his despicable actions against our dear neighbors, friends, and family in Canada. I am extremely happy to be able to be a Canadian, but I am also a citizen of the US, so I believe I need to stand up and speak up against the shameful words and actions of our president and for the people of Canada. Please know most of us here in the US do not support the corrupt actions of the toddler in chief and we do stand with Canada and are SO sorry for what is happening. I looked online and found the following information - 

Americans are reacting with a mix of sharp political backlash and mixed public debate as President Donald Trump imposed 50% tariffs on $20 billion of Canadian goods and signed an executive order to rename Lake Ontario as "Lake America"
Lawmaker Backlash
  • Democratic Criticism: Several congressional leaders strongly condemned the name change and the escalating trade dispute.
  • Legislative Action: Representative Debbie Dingell of Michigan announced plans to introduce the "Hands Off Our Great Lakes Act" to block the federal name change.
  • Public Ridicule: Lawmakers like Senator Chris Van Hollen of Maryland criticized the move as childish and unhelpful. You can read more about these responses in coverage by Time. 
Public and Supporter Views
  • Trade Debate: Some supporters view the renaming stunt as a clever way to force a larger national conversation about buying American goods and reducing reliance on Canada.
  • Skepticism: Other citizens view the decree as an unnecessary distraction from serious economic problems and trade negotiations. 
Economic Concerns
  • Battleground Impact: Many citizens and analysts worry the 50% tariffs and upcoming Canadian retaliatory taxes will hurt local economies, especially in political battleground states like Michigan.
Please know the vast majority of people here in the US oppose the tariffs and find the name change to be insulting, shameful, and a sign of a weak, childish so-called president. We will not make this change - Lake Ontario has been, is, and always will be Lake Ontario.

We are so sorry for the shameful, insulting, and despicable behavior and words from trump and are hoping we will be able to have our elections in November, and those election results will be honored in January. We know trump will try to stop either the elections or Democrats from taking their seats in January - or both. Things are very precarious here in the US at this time. If we have elections, and Democrats take back the House and Senate, and IF they are able to take their seats in January, things will begin to change here in the US as the current president and his administration face accountability for their words and actions.

For now, I will say once again, I am SO sorry for what is happening at this time in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" - I Am SO, SO Sorry

I've been writing about the amazing things Canada is doing to preserve nature in their beautiful country, and will be writing more about...