Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Canadian Thanksgiving Menu

Yesterday I wrote about the history of Canadian Thanksgiving, today I want to share what I've learned online about how Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving - in the coming days I'll share some recipes I've found so if you want to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving, you'll have some tasty ways to do so . . .

Food and Traditions
  • Classic Meal: The dinner usually features roast turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, and seasonal vegetables like squash. 
  • Desserts: Pumpkin pie is common, alongside regional treats like butter tarts in Ontario or tourtière in Quebec. 
  • Activities: Families often gather for a large meal on Sunday, enjoy outdoor autumn activities like hiking or visiting a cabin, and watch the Canadian Football League's Thanksgiving Day Classic.
Core Staples
  • Roast Turkey: A butter-basted or maple-glazed roast turkey sits at the center of most tables.
  • Sides: Fluffy mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, bread, celery stuffing, and cranberry sauce are standard across the country.
  • Dessert: Pumpkin pie spiced with ginger, cinnamon, and cloves is the traditional dessert, often paired with apple pie or maple-infused treats. 
Key Differences from the U.S.
  • Fewer Casseroles: Heavy marshmallow-topped sweet potato casseroles and green bean casseroles are less common in Canada. Vegetables are usually served fresh, roasted, or steamed rather than baked into heavy, cream-laden casseroles. 
  • Maple Flavors: Maple syrup frequently shows up in glazes for turkeys and root vegetables, as well as in dessert variations like butter tarts or maple fudge. 
Regional Specialties
  • Newfoundland: Families often serve a Jigg's Dinner, a traditional boiled meal of salt beef, root vegetables, and split-pea pudding, instead of turkey. 
  • Western Canada: Ham is sometimes served alongside or instead of turkey, and side dishes often include local vegetables or pierogies and cabbage rolls from Ukrainian-Canadian traditions. 
  • Atlantic Canada: Local seafood dishes, including salmon, crab, or mussels, frequently find a place on the holiday spread. 
  • Indigenous Communities: Many families serve fresh bannock (a traditional fry bread) alongside the harvest meal.
Sounds tasty - and some of it sounds very familiar. My family is celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving with maple glazed turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, veggies, maple glazed sweet potatoes, bannock, pumpkin pie, apple dessert, and maple fudge! I'll share recipes next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts From a "Lost Canadian" About Canadian Thanksgiving Menu

Yesterday I wrote about the history of Canadian Thanksgiving, today I want to share what I've learned online about how Canadians celebra...