As I wrote a few days ago, I wrote about how Canada celebrates their Thanksgiving Day in October. I wrote about the history behind Canadian Thanksgiving, so today I thought I'd share with you what I've learned online about why Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in October . . .
Canada celebrated the first recorded European-style Thanksgiving in North America 43 years before the famous American harvest feast. Canada celebrates Thanksgiving to give thanks for a bountiful harvest and a safe year.
Why October?
- Climate and Crops: Canada has a colder climate than the United States, meaning the harvest season ends much earlier.
- Fixed Date: In 1957, the government set the holiday permanently on the second Monday of October so it would not conflict with Remembrance Day in November.
According to a consensus on Reddit, Canadian Thanksgiving stayed tied to its early harvest roots, while the American date evolved separately. Today, Canadians mark the long weekend with family meals, turkey dinners, and gratitude. It serves as a quiet chance to enjoy a traditional meal and a fall walk before winter arrives, rather than a frantic travel-heavy event.
This all makes a lot of sense, so I'm looking forward to celebrating my first Canadian Thanksgiving in October! Over the coming days I'll share a few recipes I've found which I plan to make for my Canadian Thanksgiving!

No comments:
Post a Comment